Sunday, November 04, 2012

It's a Mario PARTY!!!

Veronica requested a Mario Party for her 8th birthday.  I feel like it's been her birthday for the past 2 weeks!  We still have her baptism that's in a couple of weeks.  So, everything that comes with turning 8, in our family, is taking quite some time!  I was dreading this party but kind of excited for the outcome.  It was fun and after I completed one project I would smile because it was satisfying.  I only wish the kids appreciate the awesomeness of this party.  I got a lot of my ideas from pinterest but mostly from my knowledge of all things Mario...which isn't much more than the first ever Super Mario Bros game.  My buddy, Linda, helped me so much and encouraged me when I was so tired to make it to the finish line.  We did a chat about my ideas and she even made an outline for me to keep me focused.  She took most of the pictures.  If Jeff would let me I would keep the decor up forever but he was over it and wanted it put away.

Some of the unfinished projects.  The goody bags, Mario mustache-on-a-stick, and the pin the mustache on Mario game (pre-color).  












The cupcakes. Simple, really.  I used chocolate, because that's what Veronica wanted.  What says Mario more than 1up cupcakes and lots of red and blue! 


The whole point of the mustaches was for taking pictures in front of a back drop that I made.  The mustaches were for keeps when the kids left but the kids only humoured me for a few pictures.  After that I sensed the "mom, really...this is lame let us go play!" vibe. 







Stars and the pipes and the piranha plants. My buddy, Linda, made the pipes out of toilet paper rolls, clever, huh?Linda also made the star rice krispies treats.  They were the perfect touch to the table.  They were as good as they looked! 




In the spirit of Mario Bros. I thought it would be fun to have places where the kids could "bust" bricks or question boxes and get coins.  













Veronica wasted no time busting it open!
We did a boo stomp.  I put a coin in each white balloon before I blew them up with air.  Then I used my trusty black sharpie to draw the face. It was quite simple. Then, I told the kids to try and not step on each other or hurt each other.  I had Jeff put some Mario music that he found on youtube and the kids had a blast.  I love this picture on the bottom of all this kids stomping the boos.  Most of the kids are a blur but that's what is fun about it.  They were all laughing and having so much fun.







Sorry about the Happy Birthday sign that fell.  I thought the goody bags were such a good decoration I almost didn't want to give them away.  Linda had these brick boxes that were perfect for the occasion. 
It was simply torture for the kids to not touch any of the decorations or treats or anything leading up to the party!  Once I finally gave David his goody bag he was the happiest.  David loves all things Mario so this was sort of a practice for an eventual Mario party of his own.  The goody bags had stickers and some candy and a question mark box with candy in them.



We had the kids decorate their star-power necklaces.


 



























The backdrop.  I should've used more blue poster board to go all the way to the bottom of the wall. I ran out of time to get more, but the photo booth idea wasn't really flying with the kids.  They didn't want to stand still long enough for a photo-op.  Oh well. 



Here are the fabulous party planners.  We actually stood still long enough for this photo. 
I think the kids had a blast.  I consider this very good practice for a Mario Party of awesomeness come one of David's birthdays! 






2 comments:

The Gilley's said...

I just have to say that you really out did yourself. What a fun party!! Veronica, I know loved it! You're such a fun mama! :-)

Rachel & Darrin said...

Awesome job on the decorations and food! It looks like the party was a huge hit! It makes me excited to do birthday parties in the future.