Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Veronica the 9 year old

My first born turned 9. Reading that makes me feel old. Enough about me, because this post is about the 9 year old not me. Veronica doesn't like to be called a child or a kid or young lady. Don't know what else I should call her. A girl with simple and complex needs, a girl full of creativity and imagination. She continues to read a lot, and to destroy reams of paper in an afternoon. Her needs are simple and I'm convinced she has some kind of super immunity to the common cold.  Her determination cannot be broken, which is probably how she managed to stay healthy when we were all staggering with illness this past year. Anyway,this is her last year as a single digit. It's monumental for a kid, I mean child...er human. She has been talking about going into 5th grade and how she will no longer be one of the little elementary students. I'm terrified yet delighted that she does not have my anxiety about it.  I was always a wreck when it came to new things, transitions, changes, or any decision that would impact my immediate future.  But, I don't really see that in Veronica the human 9 year old. She is wreckless.  Not in the bad sense either. She is wreckless, as a child...er human, should be at 9 years old.  She doesn't worry about how awful a mess she will make if she decides to pull out every single toy in the closet just to have playtime with the other kids, or if making a peanut butter sandwich is okay when her littlest sister decides to dig into the jar with her hands. It makes me lose my cool a lot but after I think about it I know she isn't deliberately trying to promote havoc.
This human is creative, questioning, compassionate, thoughtful, loving, inventive, loyal and beautiful. All things that I admire about her. If you don't know this human, you should. I think I'm a good judge of character and this one will keep you having fun, will wear you out and love you immensely.  Happy Birthday, Veronica!

Sorry about the bad quality pics. I grabbed these because I didn't bring my actual camera.

Requested Olive Garden lunch on her birthday.


Birthday outfits! Ha! No, we had a church Halloween party the night of her actual birthday.  


The glowing birthday cake! 9 candles makes for quite the little fire. 
David, Veronica, Layla, Violet and Vanessa. 

Birthday cake with the family. Cousin Layla. 



1 comment:

Rachel & Darrin said...

I can't believe how old and grown-up she is getting! Olive Garden? Pretty good taste too, if you ask me! Randomly, Logan asked where you were the other night :)